Wednesday, September 2, 2009

So excited!

I am so incredibly excited. Tomorrow night I am finally going to see my idol in the flesh at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda. Yep… its BEN FOLDS!!!! As soon as I saw he was coming to Melbourne I jumped online and boughts ticket for Dad and myself. Although the purchase rendered me broke for the next fortnight I know he’s gonna be worth every penny.

Dad loved ‘Whatever and Ever, Amen’ so much he used to take it to work with him (the coolest Dad) so I knew he’d be stoked I bought him a ticket too. Besides… it’s nice to be able to do something with Dad that doesn’t involve hospitals and cancer stuff for once.

Ben Folds and I seem to have been crossing paths for many years now, but finally I am in the right place at the right time to see him, kinda ironic considering the year I have had!!

I had a small epiphany yesterday when I was raving to the folks about the brilliance that is Mr Folds. I realised that I have been listening to him for nearly 15 years! (age denial is a wonderful thing). His music has been a real constant in my life though not always at the forefront… more like a background theme, like the ‘musical score’ to the film of my life so far. The man is a genius. If any of you haven’t heard of him, you are missing out. If you love amazing jazz/rock styled piano, stunning harmonies (ELO & Supertramp would be impressed) catchy and gorgeous melodies and some of the sweetest most profound lyrics of our generation, ch-ch-check him out.

You may know him from the song Brick which was a bit of a commercial hit years ago (“She’s a brick and I’m drowning slowly”). Also his rendition of “Bitches Aint Shit” is frigging hilarious! So do yourself the favour.

Anyway, I digress …

Radiotherapy is racing through now. I am officially in Week 6 as of tomorrow and I can't wait to finish. The side effects are really kicking in now and I just want this phase over so I can concentrate on the next phase... Hormone Therapy.

Sadly, we need to shut down my reproductive system over the next 5 years, as my cancer cells are attracted to the estrogen in my body. At absolute worst I may need to have a hysterectemy.. at best I will be rendered chemically menopausal (yes, with all the shitty symptoms of menopause) for 5 years. Not fun at all as we just don't know if we will be able to re-start my system when all of this is done. The thought of not being able to have children weighs heavily on my mind. This is just not cool stuff for a single 32 year old to have. Sigh!

I am so over all of this to be honest. I am sick of it all. I am sick of hospitals. I am sick of worrying. I am sick of.... well... being sick. I just want my life back!!

On a happier note, I am generally in good spirits. My hair is growing back with a vengeance and it's a glorious sunny day in Melbourne.

Gonna run now, love to you all as always. Thanks so much for the continued love and support. You are truly the wind beneath my wings (bleck!)

xxxx

p.s Ben’s a wicked photographer too. Check out some of his photos on Twitter… especially the ones where he has used infra-red film. They are amazing.

p.p.s I have to report that CHRISTIAN SLATER is following ME on Twitter! I don't think he really knew what he was doing.. he had about 400 fans following him on there and he went through and clicked to 'follow' all of us! So he is getting updated every time I post a tweet. Hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment