Friday, May 1, 2009

Back from the brink....... geez I feel like a drink!

Hi Guys

Well, I am back from the dead.... only just. Wow Chemo is as bad as everyone says/thinks it is. There is no sugarcoating it. It is a bastard!. I had my first treatment last Monday and was bed-ridden and sick for the best part of 5-6 days. Well, at least I know what I am in for the next couple of cycles. But everyday since then, I am getting better and stronger. I was able to walk around by about day 3-4 and stopped feeling like I wanted to throw up and pass out at the same time around day 4-5.

Am slowly feeling more like myself each day, which to be honest feels amazing. Just to feel 'normal' again feels like a blessing and I am starting to get a more normal colour in my face. Was a nice shade of grey for the best part of the week.

The "chemo brain" they mentioned is the strangest part. My mind is a jumbled mess some days. I watched a movie two days after the chemo and then had absolutely NO recollection that I had seen it. I would have sworn black and blue that I had never seen it, until Gareth (my brother in law) mentioned that I thought Ashton Kutchers hair had looked shite in it (sounds like me lol). All of a sudden that triggered a memory and although I still cannot remember a thing about the film, I became aware that I had indeed seen it. I can only compare it to getting really really drunk and having no idea what you did the night before, until someone mentions a keyword and some of it magically comes back... anyhoo you probably know what I am talking about and if not... that's ok, I can put this rambling down to the "chemo" brain.

Been having some seriously scary nightmares and 'night sweats' which can be a part of it too and had my first ever migraine (due to the anti-nausea medication I am on). Wow that sucked ass! I feel so sorry for anyone who has migraines on a regular basis. I felt like someone had stuck a shovel in my head! Thank god I woke up today and it had gone.

So anyway, apart from all of that, I am doing fine. I didn't really want to post all the negative medical stuff, but thought that some of you might find it interesting from a symptamological (is that even a word?? If not... it should be) point of view.

In the interim, I am doing well. I am charging through the Hard stage of Guitar Hero 3 and listening to lots of great music.

My current songlist top 15 is:

Love Always Remains – MGMT
Human – The Killers
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight – The Postal Service
Cherry Blossom Girl – Air
Soothe Your Pain – Dub FX (saw him busking live in St Kilda)
In Our Gun – Gomez
Butterflies and Hurricanes – Muse
Kashmir – Led Zeppelin
Can’t Run But – Paul Simon
You Don’t Know Me – Ben Folds
Shape of My Heart – Sting
Grapefruit Moon – Tom Waits
Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
I’ve Seen All Good People – Yes

If you haven't heard any of the above songs, let it be your task for the week. Trust me, you will thank me for the experience!! If you email me at emschranz@hotmail.com I can send you the mp3s.

OK, I love you guys!

xx Ems

1 comment:

  1. Great selection, though am still searching for Supertramp at the mo :o)
    Just glad you are back from the dead and I have only ever had one of those mongrel migranes as you have described....shovel is good but I remember calling it a large piece of 4x4 at the time. I agree with your words, would hate like hell to suffer from those EVER!
    Have yourself a relaxing weekend and know we are all thinkin of ya! XXX
    (Grapefruit Moon – Tom Waits Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

    ReplyDelete