Monday, April 20, 2009

Chemo Day 1

Hi Guys

So I will fill you in on Chemo - Day 1...

After a visit with my lovely Medical Oncologist, Sam and I headed up to Level 5 to the Chemo ward. I was gutted to discover I had just missed Drew Barrymore on the Ellen show. Drew is the one woman I would totally turn gay for....

Anyhoo, the nurses were lovely and did their best to calm my nerves, however, I have to admit to you all that I failed miserably. I sat in my big chair and proceeded to bawl my eyes out. They had to partition me off from the other patients as I didn't want to upset them and I couldn't stop the tears so that was that really.

After the wonderful sedative kicked in, I started to feel much better and only had some mild hallunicanations of men on rooftops (don't ask me why) before I felt like I was ready to deal with this. Sammy had a hold of my hand the whole time, and whilst she was trying her best to reassure me and be strong for me, her eyes told a different story. I can honestly say that I think today was as tough on my beautiful sister and brother in law, as it was on me. Even though the drugs were being pumped into my veins, Sam was experiencing everything I was going through. All I can say is that is one hell of a connection there. We have always joked that we felt more like twins than sisters. She is my rock, my support, my surrogate mum and my best friend. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

Ok, here's the details. Firstly, they pumped a bag of anti-nausea drugs into me. That took about 15 mins. After that was the "Adriamycin" (also known as Doxorubicin). This is the evil shit. The stuff is red and the nurse needs to stand with her hand on me the whole time it is being pumped in as if it hits the skin it burns the tissue like acid (wow and that shit is going into my veins?). This is the stuff that can cause Leukaemia - albeit very rarely. This is also the stuff that makes hair fall out and it is mainly used to treat breast cancers. I hated looking at that red liquid going down the tube and into my arm. I thought about pinching if off just before it had to go in, but I think she would have seen me do it.. and it would have made the chemo a bit redundant eh! Scary to think that to save my life I have to pump poisons into my body, but I guess its the lesser of two evils. Cancer is just full of wonderful ironies!

After the Adriamycin goes in the Cyclophosphamide goes in (hence why my chemo is called "AC"). This bag takes about an hour and is covered in black plastic (may as well had a skull and crossbones on it and a big POISON sign on it... looked ominous enough!). In all, we were there for over three hours.

I have left with a bag full of drugs and have my bucket beside my bed. Apparently everyone's symptoms are different, so I am keeping it close just in case. Hey... even if I don't spew, but my head falls off in the night, at least it will fall into the bucket and that means less mess for everybody.

I have a feeling I may not be able to stand up in the morning, based on the fact that I can barely stand right now. All in all, I am still pretty numb. I have a shaved head and did my first chemo.. I am entitled to feel like I have been hit with a mack truck I guess.

So goodnight my beautiful friends... here's to sweet dreams, 6ft tall dark handsome men and .... heads not falling off in the night.

I love you all

Fuck the lump

Ems XXX

11 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman Emma. I see you haven't had a chance to post anything since Day 1- but I hope that you are recovering well. I have never been through chemotherapy but my aunt had breast cancer 4 years ago- and she told me how draining it was and how sick you can get. It must be awful- but the good news is....the stuff can kill those nasties! My aunt is doing well currently (even though she had stage 4 cancer- they originally found it when she had a hysterectomy and found that her "fibroids" were breast mets...). Anyway, my hopes and prayers are with you. Love May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your the strongest and bravest person I know darlin. I was always told it gets worse before gettin better. Sending big lovings your way always xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Babes! Well done for the quick update, thought it may have been few days.... You are a fab woman sweetie! Strong as!! :) Love the scarf too by the way. Sending all the love, good karma, best wishes, and even prayers your way, always :) Love ya, Ruthie :0) xoxXXxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. so so so so proud Em! You truely are a legendary Aussie Battler! (isn't that what they say?) big hugs xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. lots of love aunty em. big doggy lick from Stella Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ems :)
    Wow....see i told ya, nothing can stop our Em!!! Proud of ya Gal! so glad that you have a big support base in Melbs :) stay strong and you are doing soooo well!!! showing the world just how big your character is!!
    thinking of you mate!!
    Luv B xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Wee Lamb!!!
    Huge Kitty Hug for you.
    I remember seeing all that cack going into wee Guy when he was only six, and now look at the wee monkey!!!!
    You to will be up and at it causing havoc in no time at all, look forward to it!!!
    Oh Guy says try Sweet chili crisps as all else tastes like cack!!
    Love you so much, Kitty xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello darling you are such a brave girl, all those chemo's you mentioned my little girl had the first one looks like lucuazade and the cyclia took 9 hours a time to go through albie.
    She had non hodgkins lyphoma and had 3 years of intensive chemo with every one you are having rite now. Be strond darling love you heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Emmy,
    You rock my world hon, you are so brave and wonderful!! Sending lots of hugs, good karma and 6ft tall, dark and handsome men...
    Lots of love,
    B
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you lots ems. You are a super tooper. We wish you all the best and hope you are still doing ok and miss you loads here in Wan-a-ka! xxx m11's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes you are definately one brave woman! Have witnessed the process and I can understand how scared it must have been for you, this first day. Am so happy to know you and your sister Sammy are so close and she is with you. Mmmmmmmm now about those men on rooftops huh!
    HUGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ XXX

    ReplyDelete