Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Feeling like a human specimen in the petrie dish of life...


*thanks to Megan for the pig-picture above, laughed so hard I nearly spit my tea out*

NOTE TO SELF - don't make jokes about Swine Flu, then get sick in Melbourne "Swine Flu Capital of the World". Chemo = immuno suppressed/compromised = easy bloody target.

Result of irreverent and somewhat unfunny jokes about contracting Swine Flu? Being admitted to hospital with suspected Swine Flu:

1. Spending 4 days in quarantined isolation in hospital
2. Having a whole ward on red alert
3. Only being touched with latex gloves, full body aprons and even then, only when absolutely necessary
4. Blood tests, blood tests, blood tests and then some blood tests (this is only the first hour of Day 1)
5. Not being able to even leave your room for 4 days
6. See #5, therefore having to use a bedpan (oh the shame)
7. Having your veins physically collapse, resulting in blood being taken FROM YOUR BONY FEET by someone from ICU (after trying my wrists, hands, arms) man that hurts!
8. Being told you have the blood pressure of a corpse
9. Having a temperature of 39.7 degrees and feeling like your face is about to peel off

Finally I am home, safe in the knowledge I did not have Swine Flu, but just a serious viral infection (er.... yay!?)

Still feeling dazed and confused, stuck with more needles than a Kings Cross junkie who just won lotto and like I just wondered off the set of "Outbreak".

Sigh... I just don't want to talk about it anymore.

3 comments:

  1. You all You, You, You!!!! Well I'v had a cough for the last week, OK, so like, you're not the only one, GOD!!

    Ok, shit, sounds fun, think you win prize for most sucky week. And if anyone sould challenge you, well thats their risk! This swine flu is getting annoying though.
    Poor sweetie, my little bud Cian was in a clean room for weeks, I spent a couple of long weekends with him, gives you an insight to what zoo animals may feel like.
    But good to hear you are out!! Hope the pin cushion feeling passes soon.
    Big Hugs!! (with mask on, I don't want you to get my really bad cough) Take care.
    Love you lots babe!
    Ruthie xoxxoxOXOxoxOXOxoxxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. RUTHIE not Stotty..... Sorry!! The pros&cons of sharing your laptop with flatmates!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god!! Real life quarantine. Thats sucks the big fat one. Ms. Piggy you are not! Hope you are feeling a bit better. Enjoy having your parentals over. Oh and by the way....twitter?...COME ON!!!!! x m11's

    ReplyDelete