Saturday, March 21, 2009

Out of Surgery

Hey Guys,

Well, I am finally out of the hospital and back at Sam and Gareth's with my ass firmly planted on the couch. I'm black and blue, sore and tired, but generally in good spirits. I guess you could say that the operation went well. My surgeon, Cathy, is incredible... in fact, everyone at the whole Peter MacCallum Cancer Hospital is bloody awesome!

Yes (for those who know me well) I DID hit on the hot anesthetist... I couldn't help myself, he was super cute and he held my hand the whole time ... sigh! Ahem, back on track Emma.

Actually, everyone from the nursing staff to the surgeons were unbelievable. They took amazing care of me and I rested assured I was in the best hands possible. Oh yeah, the Ward Nurse enjoyed hanging out with me so much, she's coming to the Terminus Bar for Bingo, when I am up for it :)

I can't bear to look at the breast at the moment, so I won't report too much on that at this point.

They ended up removing three lymph nodes instead of one and I have a whopping great scar from that and what looks like a bucket load of stitches under all those dressings...ewwww.

Sam and Gareth were with me when I woke up from surgery last night and they have both enjoyed regaling me today with stories of my eyes rolling back in my head and speaking in tongues (gotta love Morphine). After the exorcism, I mostly just slept.

Laughs aside, Sam and Gareth have been incredible and held my hand until the last possible minute... although it was a little embarrassing when Security had to pry Sammy's fingers off my ankles in the Operating Theatre and drag her out to the waiting room, kicking and screaming .... bit of a spectacle really..... (love you Sammy xxx)

To be honest, it was a fricken long and painful day/night/morning but I am here, on the flipside, with you lovely bastards.. and the operation has saved my life, like it or not.

We expect to get the biopsy results on Wednesday. That will let us know the finer details like what stage the cancer is at, if it has spread to the blood stream, if there are hormones attached etc. This information allows my Oncologist team to plan the Chemo for me.

After Chemo comes the Radiotherapy. As fas as I know, this will involve 45 minute, daily sessions ..... which sounds like a fricken blast....... oh crap... no pun was intended!

Hey didn't you know Radiotherapy is sooooooo 2009... it's gonna be all the rage!

Thank god for the ipod is all I can say!! For at least an hour a day, I will be filling my head with my own musical concoction ranging from Nessum Dorma (Pavarotti), Revelry (Kings of Leon) and a whole lotta Tom Waits or Depeche Mode (mood depending lol).

Who knows, next week it may be a fucking 70's disco revival :)

So, I shall now disappear into a haze of Oxycontin (or Hilbilly Heroin as it's known as in LA) and feel a little sorry for myself...... just because I am allowed to.

Love to you all.
xxxx

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ems, I'm well impressed with the blog and am thinking of you lots. Some music you might enjoy on the ipod could be a bit of Garth Brooks...i only know him cause he is Damo's favourite! Lots of love darlin, m11's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... Garth Brooks eh... Country singer? The extent of my country repetoire is Kenny Rogers "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em'. Not sure if I am ready to explore the whole country and western genre right now, but I will most definitely take on board the recommendation. Don't worry babe... if it sucks I will take it out on Damo only :). Thanks for being a part of this with me, it means a lot. Miss ya xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well gotta start with the lovely blue booties! Dig 'em ;) As for the cute anesthetist holding your hand.... aawh sweet! Shouldn't have let go, and tell him you feel better after a kiss, just blame the drugs! Mmm morphine, I'd fucking love to see you on morphine, you're mad enough without it :) My mate Dave back home used to talk to the curtains (he thought they were Elvis and Rob Zombie) Good to hear you have a nice team, makes it a tinie bit easier. So wed is the big day!? I hav my met exam again wed (failed 1st one) will be in Dunedin, but will check in either in evening or on thurs! Talk soon :0) Love ya lots like jelly tots
    xxooXoXooxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sorry comment above is from me RUTH!!!!! Signed in on airport computer and Leanne was last on obviously.... oops! My bad ("~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ruthie-pops

    Welcome to the blog! Yeah the booties rocked, Gareth (bro in law) was sitting there and trying not to lose it looking at my feet. Afer a minute or so he said "Em, I just gotta take a picture of those feet!" so I said "Go for it" and it became the pic for that days blog. Ah... gotta love family eh!. Good luck for your exam babe. Big day (another one) will be Wednesday with the results from the surgery biopsies. Will post again then, when we know more. Miss ya, love ya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like Garth Brooks, she's lying! She puts it on in the car to torture me!
    Try to get a hold of the album "Crane Wife" by The Decemberists, I love it and I reckon you will too. I wonder can I email it to you (have I just dobbed myself in for copyright infringement??)
    Damo

    ReplyDelete